I joined the Edublogs Teacher Challenge because I felt I was ready to refine my blogging skills and build an audience. To be honest, I also thought it would look good on my resume.
Now, as I approach the mid-way point of the Challenge, I have received some incredibly valuable constructive feedback & criticism on my work.
Its’ time for a formal response …
Flickr CC Image: 'celestial light'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99771506@N00/3130228600
I received a deluge of comments on my About Me page; answering a few lingering questions, and raising an issue which I never knew existed.
I’ve recorded some comments here for posterity:
@brittgow (Australia) – “I would encourage you to post a picture of yourself, as I think it helps readers to identify with you", but if you are worried about privacy and security issues, make it a photo that cannot be altered to use as a passport/license shot.”
Well, I’ve had a good think about this, and my updated About Me page will feature one of my ‘artistic’ self-portraits. Check back in a few days.
@takefive (USA?) – “My only suggestion, and it's because I'm from the US, is that the term "relief" teacher is not something I know. I'm assuming it is a widely used classification in Australia, but it is not something I've heard in my country. If you anticipate having a wider audience, you might give your international readers a short definition about relief teaching just to confirm or clarify their working definition”
This was a really valuable tip. I knew that American teachers are familiar with substitute teachers, but hadn’t thought of including a definition on my blog. I’ve revised the landing page to reflect this, and will include a brief comment in my revised About Me page.
@murcha (Australia) – “I like how you have clear headings which share your past, your present and your future. The only other thing that others have placed on their about me page, is some of their life outside school i.e. interests, passions etc.”
Thanks Murcha. A big influence on my About Me page was my desire to share this blog with prospective employers, hence the headings. I had a good laugh at the thought of my “having a life” outside work; but I’ve come up with a few facts that will no doubt surprise some of my colleagues.
@carlaarena (Brazil) - In my screen, the page setting is too big, so I have to scroll right and left to read the whole information. Is there a way you could reduce a bit the post area?
I never knew this problem existed, although I know the cause – namely my fiddling with the template a few months ago. This problem has been resolved, and the blog can now be easily viewed on various devices – even iPads (for those lucky enough to have them! (jealous!)
@debhogg (Australia) - I was wondering why you had used the template with the left sidebar? Since the stuff in the sidebar is not a visitor immediate focus because they visit to read the posts then it wouldn't it be easier if the sidebar was on the right?
Deb, this was one of the most insightful pieces of feedback that I received. The sidebar has now been moved and slimmed down, and I actually quite like the result.
Also, I apologise to all readers frustrated in being unable to leave comments of late. The issue has (hopefully) been fixed.
The only thing left to say is THANKYOU! to all my readers & Teacher Blogging Challenge mentors who have stopped by and provided feedback.
I really appreciate the wonderful comments about my reflective practice and teaching, and I value critical suggestions for improving A Relief Teacher’s Journey.
Keep an eye out for my updated About Me page, and Challenge 4 post … coming soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.